Monday, September 8, 2008

Not the best week-Sick Seamus

Last week my poor kitty Seamus got deathly ill. He is better now--let me say that right off because I know how much people love my beige tabby.

He stopped eating and drinking. Tuesday & completely withdrew from everyone. I won't be graphic about the intestinal and stomach issues but lets just say he had some nasty symptoms. We honestly thought he was going to die. He looked that bad. I could feel every bone in his back, when he let me close enough to pat him. I was heart broken.

I have had that cat since 1996 when I took him home from work one day in California. I worked as a Technical Service Representative for Noritsu America Corp. and a call came to our office from the loading dock that a kitten was found by the forklift drivers. I don't know what got into me but I just jumped out of my chair and ran out there.

There was an adorable but very dirty kitten in a cardboard box. The guys had given him some tuna and milk(yuck!) and it was just as cute as can be. I immediately said, "I want him!" I picked up the box and carried him back to my desk.

I rigged up a little pen for him with an large upended milk crate and in threw a spare sweatshirt. He meowed a bit but just fell asleep as peacefully as an angel. He was filthy. His back was covered with black grease and he looked like he was only a month or so old. I suspected he had fleas and other gross parasites as well. He was friendly and had an innocent, sweet expression.

He stayed next to my desk til lunchtime then I took him to the vet and told him to clean him up. The vet just looked at me like I was crazy but said he would do his best. When I went back after work the vet presented me with a clean, beige short haired tabby. He told me the cat was probably 4 months old and weighed 4 lbs. Tiny! He had wormed him, treated him for ear mites, fleas and ticks. The kitten didn't even look like the same animal except that he was still sweet and happy to see me again.

I took the kitty home and put him on the floor in front of my 70 lb. Gordon Setter Jenny. The kitten arched his back and hissed at her. Jenny was fascinated--was not aggressive at all. Jenny was a lovely dog and by the end of the first evening, the new kitty--Seamus was curled up with Jenny in the dog bed. And the rest, is history. 12 years later, Jenny is long gone but Seamus is still with me. More about his adventures with me later. He has lived in 10 different homes with me and has traveled across country. What a cat!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

My goodness! What a heartwarming story about Seamus. What a lucky kitty to have you as a mommy! Hope he is up to his feline self soon! We have 2 kitties 1yr older than your Seamus.

Flamincatdesigns said...

I'm glad Seamus is doing better, sounds like a little bit of dehydration after all that tummy stuff. Poor baby. It sounds like he has had a wonderful life with you, lucky and loved kitty.